"Mommy moments" and more from the Piszars

Living with a great husband and four kids (a set of 9 year old twins plus fifteen and seventeen year boys--do I really need to say more?)and a dog there are alot of moments to enjoy laugh over. Just thought you might enjoy them too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Wife to one and mom to four. Sister to three. Sister in law to many. Daughter to two, Daughter in law to two. Grandaughter to one. Aunt to many. What more can I tell you? I wear many "hats" and I am a busy gal. Did I mention that I like to run?

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Inclusion

I am pondering full inclusion at school for Sarah. Its something that honestly never crossed my mind until recently. To start I am doing some reading and research. Would love your prayers for wisdom!
We want the very best for Sarah and aren't out to push some ideal or agenda but the concept is quite amazing. Yesterday I felt like someone turned a light on. Ever have a room you thought was clean and all in order? And then turn a light on and realize you need to dust and clear cobwebs! Kind of feeling that way about Sarah. We were so aggressive working with her in Conductive Ed and then really slacked off since she's been attending school. Part of it is to give her a break and just let her be a kid when she's at home. But the other reality is that we are enabling her to just sit back and be waited on. We are not exploring fully all the things she CAN do or COULD do if we would just work with her. No longer will I say the words, "she will never be independent" even if that is the reality I am going to set the bar HIGH. She will go on a vocational track in her future education and we are going to assume that there is place for her to contribute. She is now included in the chores in the household and limits (TV/games) as well which we have been lack about enforcing for her. She is an equal part of the family and needs to do her share to her ability. I told her all of this yesterday. Could she learn to make her bed? Of course, but I've been doing that. Can she learn to dress herself? Absolutely, again, I've been doing that. Sometimes its alot easier to do things for someone than to teach them to do it themselves...I'm getting off the path of least resistance....but I will admit the path ahead is much scarier and alot harder.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

I really think this is a good thing, Heather. You are a good mom for considering all the options available for your sweet girl, and for daring to take a new path to see where it leads. Keep trusting God. He will never fail you!!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This really touched my heart. I really feel you are right to consider that there are things Sarah can learn to do that seem easier for us to just do for her. Remember the story of the coccon? If someone helps the butterfly get out that the butterfly does not turn out right. Sometimes and with somethings will probably be like that with Sarah. She will have to work her way out. There are I'm sure things she needs to have help with. But if you don't try to teach them you will never know if she could do them. I agree that this is hard and I pray that you will keep trusting God to help you carry what you can and that you know He will carry the whole thing when you can't carry anything sometimes. I'm so glad you're such a good mommy. Love, MOM

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home