Survive or Thrive?
This past weekend I attended the Ladies' Retreat at Bair Lake Bible Camp. Its a frequent fall highlight for me. The atmosphere is great and there is often excellent teaching and opportunity to be quite and listen to what God is speaking to me. There are great activities and the guys that cook do an amazing job at feeding us! I really enjoy the brief respite to just be Heather and not mom or wife or other roles....although I am often still sister and daughter (or even auntie) while I am on retreat.
This year was lovely. I enjoyed the sharing, worship time and opportunity to take a nap! I didn't do much as far as activities, I did make a candle and took a walk with my sister and some friend and watched other gals on the "stand" activity. I had a quiet run Sunday morning...that is until some strange dogs ran at me, but I saw 6 deer while I was out running. I am sure I gained at least 2 pounds but saw no reason to verify that fact and will surely burn it off with the 11 miler on my schedule this week. I enjoyed the ride out and back gabbing with my sister. I relished God's creation. The home-made donuts at the campfire on Saturday evening were AWESOME! Its just nice to be at camp.
So what did I learn this year? Honestly, the thing I was touched by most was when the speaker encouraged us to thrive in challenging situations rather than just cope, or survive. I thought about my own life in relation. What have I done in the past 6 years since my greatest challenge became a part of my life? Of course I am referring to the arrival of Sarah. Having a special needs child has without a doubt been the most difficult thing in my life thus far. There is no way to fully share the enormity of the impact that has on one's life and so I won't try. Those who are close to me see a glimpse of it and know its a challenge but in all honestly seeing what we deal with doesn't come close to actually living it hour by hour, day by day, week by week......
But honestly, what have I done in the midst of this challenge? I am surviving. I am coping. And I am doing those things well. But am I thriving? Am I growing? Certainly I do not think growth has been absent from my life since Sarah's arrival but I don't think I've really embraced my daughter as a gift FOR my growth. Instead I've kind of looked her as a challenge God's placed in my life that I would grow from. I think it is different, although it sounds very much the same. So I guess the point of it is I am changing my attitude and eager to see how I can thrive in the midst of the challenges God's placed in my life. Survival just isn't enough.....
This year was lovely. I enjoyed the sharing, worship time and opportunity to take a nap! I didn't do much as far as activities, I did make a candle and took a walk with my sister and some friend and watched other gals on the "stand" activity. I had a quiet run Sunday morning...that is until some strange dogs ran at me, but I saw 6 deer while I was out running. I am sure I gained at least 2 pounds but saw no reason to verify that fact and will surely burn it off with the 11 miler on my schedule this week. I enjoyed the ride out and back gabbing with my sister. I relished God's creation. The home-made donuts at the campfire on Saturday evening were AWESOME! Its just nice to be at camp.
So what did I learn this year? Honestly, the thing I was touched by most was when the speaker encouraged us to thrive in challenging situations rather than just cope, or survive. I thought about my own life in relation. What have I done in the past 6 years since my greatest challenge became a part of my life? Of course I am referring to the arrival of Sarah. Having a special needs child has without a doubt been the most difficult thing in my life thus far. There is no way to fully share the enormity of the impact that has on one's life and so I won't try. Those who are close to me see a glimpse of it and know its a challenge but in all honestly seeing what we deal with doesn't come close to actually living it hour by hour, day by day, week by week......
But honestly, what have I done in the midst of this challenge? I am surviving. I am coping. And I am doing those things well. But am I thriving? Am I growing? Certainly I do not think growth has been absent from my life since Sarah's arrival but I don't think I've really embraced my daughter as a gift FOR my growth. Instead I've kind of looked her as a challenge God's placed in my life that I would grow from. I think it is different, although it sounds very much the same. So I guess the point of it is I am changing my attitude and eager to see how I can thrive in the midst of the challenges God's placed in my life. Survival just isn't enough.....


3 Comments:
Thanks so much for sharing this, Heather. I have been challenged with some very similar thoughts lately. Praying for you as you seek to incorporate this!
Heather, I have often wondered how this played out in your head. Thanks for sharing. I think when we changes our definition of challenges to blessings/gifts it is a turning point and very much a beginning to thriving. Remember that new song I like called All I know? The part that says, " a ship that's in the harbor is safe from wind and storm but it was not built to be there" etc. - It is through the hard things that we become strong. Oh dear - you are one to cause your mom to think.
I enjoyed seeing you at the Ladies Retreat. God was truly moving that weekend. How are you thriving this week?
Post a Comment
<< Home