Should we settle for a new "normal"? Do we even have a choice?
We have been struggling with Sarah's seizures here in the Piszar family for over a week now. A change seems to have been precipitated by a prolonged tonic-clonic seizure on Thursday morning and she has had daily seizures since. We are working with the Dr. to find a remedy for this. Her medications have been increased and an additional one has been added. For several days after she was groggy and out of it. Then slowly we saw the return of the perky little girl we know and love. Finally, yesterday, she blessed me with one of her precious hugs. She had not given me any spontaneous ones for over a week. I couldn't help but think--"Oh yeah! My little girl is returned to me!" The seizures still persist. She's had 2 already this morning/afternoon and we (Sandor and I) can't help wonder to ourselves if we are settling into a new norm for Sarah. The Dr. explains that children with epilepsy sometimes go through periods where their seizures are difficult to control. And I actually don't want her medicated to the point that she has none. I am OK with some break through activity but it shouldn't be THIS frequent. So with each day that goes by and we continue to have seizure activity I find myself become more and more accustomed to it. I guess if this is to be the new norm we need to rest in God's wisdom and trust that He will work this out for us and for Sarah according to His will. I can find peace in that and trust that in time weather the seizures are resolved or not He will carry me. I continue to be amazed at this path my life has taken. I never imagined what it would be like to care for and love a special needs child. I never really believed I would have one. It is not without pleasure and pain.

1 Comments:
You or someone else once said since we found out about Sarah's special needs that God must have given her to you to care for and love out of HIS wisdom. That is so hard to accept when the road gets rocky. It's then we have to rely on HIS strength and know that HE loves us with HIS abundance. By the way - I love you too. MOM
Post a Comment
<< Home