Saying "I Love You" Without Words
As we approach Valentine's Day love seems to be everywhere. I've been thinking about it quite a bit. There are lots of ways to say, "I love you." There is the traditional method of just saying it and then of course there are the methods we use to say, "I love you" without words. I imagine many things come to mind. Perhaps its in doing something nice for someone, giving them a back rub or gazing into their eyes. Sometimes its just listening while they vent. There are many, many ways.
But how do you communicate "I LOVE YOU" to someone who doesn't speak? You can say it but do they grasp it? And can they reply in kind? Of course I am thinking of my Sarah. Today she is FOUR YEARS OLD!! I look at her and Timothy and just can't understand where the time went. Yet here we are. She and her twin are so very different. Sometimes the differences are painful to note but as time goes by they are becoming less painful and just apparent. However one thing I have often longed for is to hear her sweet voice. And I do have that pleasure as she babbles away making all kinds of chattering noises. We do not converse in the traditional sense. But we DO communicate. And lately she has begun saying, "I love you."
She has often been rather coy. She turns her head away when you ask for a kiss or when you offer one. She frequently pushes back when we dole out hugs. She does have her affectionate moments. I just think she wants them in her own way. She will often pat someone's back as they hold her--saying in her language, "Its good to see you and I am glad you are here." She will sit by you and pat your leg or arm. She will come to you and climb into your lap or if you are on the floor already, well look out, because she will just back right into your lap. She will often greet people by walking up to them excitedly and patting them. Lately she has begun dispensing hugs on her own. When it first happened I had to stop in the middle of what I was doing and stand in awe. Sandor and I couldn't believe it! And we said to each other, "She's saying I love you." She has taken to coming up to me, usually when I am busy at a task, and squeezing my leg. She wraps her small arms around my leg and hugs it with all her might. Its precious. No one ever taught her to do this. Its so spontaneous and sweet. And I truly believe she is demonstrating her affection. Of course I reciprocate because I want to encourage this communication and keep it coming---I enjoy it.
So my Sarah, always my teacher, has shown me how SHE expresses love without ever saying a word. I do like to hear those 3 little words too and Timothy showers me with them all the time along with a face full of kisses and that's cool too.
But how do you communicate "I LOVE YOU" to someone who doesn't speak? You can say it but do they grasp it? And can they reply in kind? Of course I am thinking of my Sarah. Today she is FOUR YEARS OLD!! I look at her and Timothy and just can't understand where the time went. Yet here we are. She and her twin are so very different. Sometimes the differences are painful to note but as time goes by they are becoming less painful and just apparent. However one thing I have often longed for is to hear her sweet voice. And I do have that pleasure as she babbles away making all kinds of chattering noises. We do not converse in the traditional sense. But we DO communicate. And lately she has begun saying, "I love you."
She has often been rather coy. She turns her head away when you ask for a kiss or when you offer one. She frequently pushes back when we dole out hugs. She does have her affectionate moments. I just think she wants them in her own way. She will often pat someone's back as they hold her--saying in her language, "Its good to see you and I am glad you are here." She will sit by you and pat your leg or arm. She will come to you and climb into your lap or if you are on the floor already, well look out, because she will just back right into your lap. She will often greet people by walking up to them excitedly and patting them. Lately she has begun dispensing hugs on her own. When it first happened I had to stop in the middle of what I was doing and stand in awe. Sandor and I couldn't believe it! And we said to each other, "She's saying I love you." She has taken to coming up to me, usually when I am busy at a task, and squeezing my leg. She wraps her small arms around my leg and hugs it with all her might. Its precious. No one ever taught her to do this. Its so spontaneous and sweet. And I truly believe she is demonstrating her affection. Of course I reciprocate because I want to encourage this communication and keep it coming---I enjoy it.
So my Sarah, always my teacher, has shown me how SHE expresses love without ever saying a word. I do like to hear those 3 little words too and Timothy showers me with them all the time along with a face full of kisses and that's cool too.


3 Comments:
Happy Birthday you two! I am a bad Auntie and will call you tommorrow to wish you a Happy Birthday.
Heather, I am without words! I am so glad she is doing this! I wish I was there to get a hug from her!! I am so glad she can show you how wonderful she knows you are!
Perhaps you will be blessed with one next time you are in town. They are very special hugs!
I also think that bad is the wrong word choice. Maybe busy would have been better....
Post a Comment
<< Home