Forgiveness
Last night I went to see The End of the Spear. It was a good movie. I am always intrigued when a movie "sticks" with me for days--or even longer. Some idea or comment or scene or whatever that I continue to think about and mull over. I had heard the story of these missionaries who gave their lives for Christ before. So that part was not a surprise for me. What has me thinking today is the way the families of these murdered men truly forgave the murderers. Its one thing to forgive someone who has offended you and move on. But they didn't forgive in word alone. They acted out forgiveness--lived it. They lived with the people who had killed their husbands, fathers, brothers. They lived with them so that they could bring Christ to them. They became their friends and in so doing were able to bring the gospel of Christ to a people who did not know Him. If this is how well humans can forgive image how wonderful God's forgiveness is! The part I struggle with is that in all honesty I don't know if I could forgive like that....

2 Comments:
It has stuck with me too. Thanks for taking me with you. I was struck with the fact that because these people who had killed saw the kindness and forgiveness of the family of the ones who died at their hands they were able to understand God's love. They believed because they saw the picture in the acts of what they thought were their enemy. They could not read the scripture then. Language was also a barrier but truly in that case action spoke louder than words. I am left with wondering what my actions say????
I have learned forgiveness is a choice. You can't wait 'til you *feel* like forgiving, because you'll never get there. It's an act of will, and once it's done, God can begin to heal.
Post a Comment
<< Home