We took care of the hornets....
We thought we would leave the hornets....but they became too numerous.
They are dead now...
No one was stung but the boys enjoyed seeing us "get them" and I enjoyed studying the nest for a day till Sandor dumped it in the pond/marsh by our house.
They are dead now...
No one was stung but the boys enjoyed seeing us "get them" and I enjoyed studying the nest for a day till Sandor dumped it in the pond/marsh by our house.
If you look closely at the second picture the queen is in the middle. She survived 2 cans of spray and the fire. Many of the larva around her were still alive too. Amazing. Inside the paper nest were 3 layers of "honeycomb" like sections to hold the larva...and there were oh so many of them.

6 Comments:
No pictures of the empty nest?
I uploaded some pics for you laurel. ;)
I'm fascinated. I'd love to know more about how this was done.
Amazing how well built that thing was!
WOW -- So Cool -- I would have loved to actually see it. MOM
P.S. I caught a real Katy did today. Want it??
At night when they were all tucked in we used 2 cans of raid on the next. Then we cut it down and burned it in our fire bowl. Wanting to see what was inside we broke it open...pulling back the layers revealed 3 sections for nest and the still living queen and many larva...cooked and uncooked. We torched it again. Left it outside for the next day and by then the remaining larva were done for.
Post a Comment
<< Home