"Mommy moments" and more from the Piszars

Living with a great husband and four kids (a set of 9 year old twins plus fifteen and seventeen year boys--do I really need to say more?)and a dog there are alot of moments to enjoy laugh over. Just thought you might enjoy them too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Wife to one and mom to four. Sister to three. Sister in law to many. Daughter to two, Daughter in law to two. Grandaughter to one. Aunt to many. What more can I tell you? I wear many "hats" and I am a busy gal. Did I mention that I like to run?

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The Kohl's Incident

SO...my sister, Melissa, and I met at Kohl's today. We parked next to each other and grabbed the kids from the car and shopped a bit. Bought nothing and headed back to the cars. I put Tim in on the driver's side as Mel went around to put Sarah in on the passenger side. I could hear a discussion begin between Mel and the owner of the car next to mine. I could not hear what was being said. I finished buckling Tim and headed over to find a woman, in a high state of agitation, berating Mel about hitting her car and dinging it. Since it was my car I stepped up and calmly and politely asked some questions. (Now mind you I have on occasion given a ding to someone else's car, quite by accident, AND have also been the recipient of said dings myself.) So I asked, did we park after you? are you sure the dings weren't there? She was insistent that we were the perps and was disgusted with people who do this. It was about this time that I began to think my car wouldn't hit her car even with the door all the way open. hmmm. So I calmly opened the door and pointed out to her that our cars didn't line up for that to happen and there was about a foot of space between the edge of my door and her car. I said, "Its just not physically possibly for us to have done this." And yet she insisted. (Had we defied the laws of physics???) I explained that I understood the frustration but we did not do this. She just didn't get it. Maybe we hit it when we pulled something out she claimed. About this time my cackles were up and I was getting louder. So I spouted out that, "The only thing we pulled out of the car was this child!!" Pointing to Sarah in Melissa's arms. I asked if she checked the passenger side of her car before she went in?? Was it at all possible that someone else could have done it and she had not noticed?? AND by the way she was being RUDE. In the end she half heartedly admitted that it wasn't us and said, "Sorry." I replied with, "Good." She huffed off and peeled out. I jumped in my car and left. It was unpleasant. I kept it together till the end. I really hadn't SAID anything wrong. But the tone I used at the end was not nice and I felt bad about reacting that way. Galatians says to never get tired of doing good. I think I did. I started out with diplomacy and ended up barking at someone. Granted she was wrong. But in the end so was I--in my manner. It will forever be remembered as....the Kohl's Incident.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Sometimes people make it impossible for you to be nice to them. I'm sure anyone in your position would have done the same thing. Don't beat yourself up about it!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, It really hurts when we can't measure up to the standards we would like to. It's just like Timmy who doesn't WANT to be a naughty boy. We still live in the world but thankfully we are rooted in the right place with Christ. We will continue to fall short and have to look at the one perfect example but thankfully He loves us inspite of our shortcomings even as He knows when we will fall on our face before we actually do. And what are your cackles? I thought we had hackles. Chuckles that's for sure. But still keep trying to walk and talk the way that pleases HIM and keep on trying to do good. I don't think I would have handled that quite that well. Love MOM

4:21 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

It's funny, Heather, cause now I have to laugh about the incident because mom has said cackels!

But the lady was truely unreasonable. Some times no matter how hard we try, we will not please everyone and their attitudes can make a big diffrence. I can't say you are wrong that you should not have lost you temper, but I agree with Cheryl, you can't beat yourself up over it. But I wanted to say how I admire you for being willing to face what you see as your faults and be honest to others about it. I need to take a page from your book. I tend to not want anyone to know that I mess up, (it's not as if they can't tell anyway!) and I need to be more like you. That's how we learn and others learn from us. So thank you for demanding more of yourself and for sharing it with us. I love you
Mel

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home