I made it!
I just returned from a Halloween parade at the boys' school. And I am thinking about Andrew. Do you have a child that kind of gets lost in the shuffle? For me I have to say that's my sweet Andrew. And he doesn't get "lost" exactly. But sometimes overlooked. He is not a squeaky wheel. He is very good most of the time, an excellent student, an overall great kid. And I have this special thing for him because he fits into our family right where I did in mine, second child of four. That and he is a really unique guy. In spite of all this he is the proverbial middle child. Anyway, last year I was room mom in Jacob's class. I was at all the parties and at least one field trip. I didn't make it to even one of Andrew's parties. To my credit I did send items in for his parties and even went on a field trip. But I felt bad at the end of the year that I hadn't split the time up between my boys. So this year, no room mom duties, just offered to help in both classes. This morning came and Andrew was disappointed a little because he knew I would be at Jacob's party and not his. Sending in muffins just wasn't going to cut it! As the morning was going I kept putting off my jog and then it was 10:30 and ticking. Andrew's parade was at 11:00. (Jacob's is later this afternoon) So I decided last minute I am just going to run up there, literally. But of course one thing after another, coats, shoes and I was leaving with less than 10 minutes to spare. I was booking, babies in the burley, here we go. Well the parade had started by the time I got there but I could see the beginning and no Andrew. In just about two minutes he came by. I made it!! Such a handsome, sweet, bald headed alien.

3 Comments:
I love you for that! Other reasons that I love you too, but the fact that you see that and are making a conscience effort is flippin' sweet! Your children are truly blessed to have a Mom like you...
I'm glad you made it in time. I'm sure Andrew was happy to see you there!
Heather, I am so glad you are the kind of mom that pays attention to things like that. It is (I say from experience) hard to spread the love to be sure that you are not missing someones needs. It isn't always possible to be there for all things our kids want us there for or need us there for. But the fact that you decided to try and that you saw the need is so touching to me. Someday your kids will know - not because they remember or even knew each time you did these out of the way things but because of the whole picture of love that you are painting with each one of them. You are a great artist and I see four masterpeices in the works. Rejoicing, MOM
Post a Comment
<< Home